To make things easy for you UNIMOVE provide a Packing Kit - a range of boxes to cover a wide selection of stuff.
Our Packing Kit has changed slightly, and is now made up of 12 slightly bigger, heavy duty boxes:
- 4 x large boxes:
Width: 18" (45cm)
Depth: 18" (45cm)
Height: 20" (50cm)
Double walled: Yes
Handle Holes: Yes
- 8 x book boxes:
Width: 18" (45cm)
Depth: 18" (45cm)
Height: 12" (30cm)
Double walled: Yes
You can order extra packing kits on booking if required and we can also pick up, store and re-deliver bicycles, beds and more! If you have your own Suitcase that you would like to fill we can take care of that for you, just please ensure the suitcase is no heavier than 20kg.
Q: What size box do I use for what?
A: Book boxes are ideal for really heavy items like books, photographs and high value items. Modular and double walled for extra strength.
The large boxes are ideal for general items i.e. kitchen utensils, crockery, clothes and toys a good all rounder of a box. Modular and double walled for extra strength. They are perfect for lighter items such as bedding, pillows etc.
Q: How do I tape up a box?
A: Always make sure that you use good quality parcel tape to fasten the bottom and the top of all your boxes. Please DO NOT just fold the flaps of the box in a cris cross way, because as soon as this box is picked up with any weight inside, the flaps just unfold and everything falls out. To fasten securely use the 'H' method on the both the bottom and top of the box.
- First fold the in the smaller flaps followed by the larger ones.
- Fasten tape down the centre of the box along the join
- Finally run tape across the edges of the box to securely seal it.
Unimove packing guide
The key to successful packing is to start early, as packing always takes longer than anticipated. Now is a good time to declutter and take any unwanted items to the charity shop or recycling centre.
Spend some time considering how you are going to pack your possessions. Before you start make sure you have all your packing material to hand i.e. boxes, tape, pen, packing paper, bubblewrap etc. Using the correct size boxes will make life so much easier.
- Pack directly from a cupboard, do not empty it first or you will have nowhere to put the box.
- It may sound obvious but pack heavier items in the bottom of the box and lighter items on top.
- Always fill the box to the top, avoid half filled boxes as once stacked on top of each other may weaken the ones underneath.
- NEVER make the moving boxes so heavy that they cannot be lifted safely. If they are becoming heavy while you are packing them, try filling the rest of the box with light bulky items such as linen, towels, cushions or soft toys. Remember that the Unimove weight limit per box is 20kg. It is only really possible for the Large box to be packed to an extent that it exceeds the 20kg limit. Unless you are packing concrete blocks, (which we hope you're not!) you'll find it hard to make the smaller boxes weigh more than 20kg!
- Place heavy & bulky items in the bottom of a box, but remember there is a culmination of weight. One dining plate on its own doesn't weigh very much, but ten together is surprisingly heavy, so keep this in mind while loading your boxes - and REMEMBER to use packing materials to prevent any breakages.
- If at all possible try standing things like plates on their end as this way they are stronger, same with glasses. Use plenty of paper, bubble wrap and newspaper as packing or use items of linen or soft toys that you will be taking with you anyway. You might just end up with a box or two less.
- Clearly write your name and phone number on each box.
- Wrap items individually and place in a box that's been lined with several layers of newspaper and a sheet of bubble wrap. Any breakables should also be wrapped in bubble wrap. Use clean tissue or wrapping paper for the first layer to prevent newspaper print leaving marks. Pillows and blankets are also useful for wrapping valuables.
It is important that your boxes are filled and taped up correctly, if they are not, it will cause the box to be weak, and a weak box is prone to damage. All boxes should be taped close, and the box flaps should be closed flat so that another box could be safely placed on top. Unimove reserve the right to refuse to collect any over-filled box, and you may be asked to re-pack it.
UNIMOVE has been helping students throughout the UK for over 10 years. Our service is nationwide, so wherever you are, we can help.
Under new management for 2014, we have re branded and modernised, so we can offer a faster, more flexible and even easier service to our customers.
We like to make things EASY!
Our all inclusive, hassle free service, enables you to book online and reserve a space. You can then manage your booking online, and update any details, such as delivery address, delivery date, mobile number etc.
Unimove Key Benefits:
Safe, secure summer moving and storage
Approved by parents
Up to 16 weeks secure storage
Free boxes delivered in advance
Free insurance cover to £1,000
Check prices & book online
Parents! Park up the Volvo, there is no longer any need to jam pack the car with your son or daughters files, books and dirty laundry, (well maybe you could take the laundry!) Unimove are here to do the hard work for you.
Get an instant, online quote today.
Smiles, from the UNIMOVE team :)